Friday, August 6, 2010

Great good cheer!

One of the things that I've been meaning to do is find a copy of the original 1807 edition of the book.

It's not that I don't trust Edmund Pearson's instincts and editorial judgment, it's just ... well ... I always get a better feel for something if I have a more direct experience.

So I'm really happy today!

A few days ago Sara(h?) one of the reference librarians at my town's temple of words told me about how to get electronic access to a larger libraries databases. One of their databases contained a high-resolution scan of the book! SCORE!!

I still intend to travel to Boston's Rare Book Room or the American Antiquarian Society to actually lay hands on a copy (even if only through thin cotton gloves). One of the two is Thomas Higginson's personal copy. (I'll be speaking more about him later.)

Through the good auspices of a Boston reference librarian, I may have found one of the rare copies of "The Compendium of Tufts Kinsmen: a Substitutive Genealogy by Herbert Freeman Adams." at the Malden Public Library. Since it is listed as “In Library Use Only”, It sounds like a short road-trip is in my near future.

Speaking of which ... I am seriously considering an extended road trip to visit all the towns in which Henry stayed, stole, was jailed, or got married. I'd send out letters to the historical societies and libraries requesting access, and then just parallel his journeys. It seems like it would be an interesting trip; reading "then", seeing "now".

I've been meaning to do the same for another history project, but the subject of that one was more sedentary and I guess it just doesn't have the same appeal as tracing the vagabond.

No comments:

Post a Comment