Friday, August 6, 2010

Curiouser and Curiouser ...

... as Alice might have exclaimed. I have just, this morning, found two books that mention Henry. The first is in a book that is still in print:

Ulrich, Laurel Thatcher. The Age of Homespun. New York: Vintage, 2002

Ulrich, also known for the wonderful "A Midwife's Tale" uses material from Henry's account of his meeting with Molly Ockett and his two year stay with the Abenaki. 

A somewhat more serendipitous discovery occurred as I was sorting some of the books that I've retrieved from my father's library. One of them, a slightly battered octavo bound in dark red buckram, turned out to be:

Charles Hamilton, ed. Men of the Underworld. New York: The Macmillan Company, 1952

Chapter 1 of this book is "The Adventure of the Drugged Grooms" (Henry Tufts, Horse Thief). If you'd like to read it, I linked to the digital version of the book in Questia.

The funny thing was that I was sorting books to get away from Henry for a while.

I notice that my father bought it second-hand. He paid $2.50 for it, and judging by the handwriting used for the price, I'm guessing that he bought it from the Starr Bookshop which used to live underneath the Harvard Lampoon Building just outside Harvard Square. This might sound funny to folks in the age of Amazon, but those of us who love second hand bookstores quickly learned the various booksellers' codes and handwriting. At least a dozen books on my shelves have this particular handwriting on their flyleaves.

Another clue, of course, is that someone has written "Frank Monahan" in neat but childlike script about three quarters of an inch high using a fat-nibbed pen dipped in grass-green ink.

You can take yer damned kindle and its sterile interface.

No comments:

Post a Comment