Sunday, September 12, 2010

Small Clues

Sometimes you just need to let your curiosity loose. I'm working away at Chapter 5 when I find an assumption in the text that a person mentioned got his "just deserts" and that his comeuppance is known well enough not to be further identified. Well ... not to me.

A few minutes of research and I had my answer, and a footnote that will take up 80% of a page. A wonderful and tragic story hidden in an off-hand comment, and, if I hadn't been puzzled enough to do a tiny bit of research, I'd have missed it completely.

Further research to get a few more details revealed an odd knot of interrelationships which caught me completely by surprise. I know these communities were small, but frankly the constant reappearance of certain people is really discombobulating. The name Tash pops up far too often.

Henry's about to marry his second wife without the knowledge of, or divorce from, his first..

No comments:

Post a Comment