Thursday, July 22, 2010

Not really a wasted day

My computer is out for repair, so I came to the library with my thumb drive and the best of intentions. I got all set up, opened my portable apps, and was about to start work, when I realized that I had a question that I hadn't answered.

The Tufts and Pearson families are intertwined in the genealogies, and the question had occurred that Edmund L. Pearson, who had edited the second (1930) edition of the book, might possibly be a relative of Henry's ... though probably much removed.

So I went looking.

Pearson was born in Newburyport, MA which might be a clue, but I'm not ready yet to start subscribing to the genealogy websites to try to nail down the relationship.

But I found out some other good stuff about ELP. There's a true crime writer, Laura James, who writes about him on her blog CLEWS, and a number of his books are available at the Internet Archive. I'm going to have to set some time aside to read them, but not until my computer gets back from the hospital. I just don't have enough time at the library, and frankly his prose calls for late evening and a glass of good scotch.

At that last site, I also found a bit of a gem; a genealogy of the early Tufts which confirmed that Henry's first lie was on page 1 of his autobiography. Very cool!

Unfortunately it is time to pull my thumb out of the library's computer and wander home to take care of more corporeal responsibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment